Paolo Gucci was the grandson of Guccio Gucci, the saddle salesman who founded the GUCCI company in 1923. His father established the American beachhead on Fifth Avenue in 1953. It was Paolo Gucci, as Chief Designer of the company, who played a leading role in the explosive growth with the interlocking double G logo and the snaffle bit and the red, green, and black striped webbing motif that was so chic in the 1960's and 1970's. Gucci claimed design credit for 80 percent of the items in the Gucci catalogue. He was dismissed from the company twice by his father. After a number of family problems and tragedy, Gucci won the right to market a line under his own name. He did this in the 1980's though the line died in 1987.
These rare earrings were his own attempt to use the G of his last name, in a different way than the main company, in his own designs. The gold-tone earrings have large "G's" centered with a black, oval cabochon. They have clips on the reverse with an indent for earring pads. Earrings are signed, "PAOLO", on the clip and on the reverse of the earring.